You have probably seen the film a million of times.
Since its release in 2006, The Devil Wears Prada has become a classic and launched Anne Hathaway in Hollywood.
Based on Lauren Weisberger’s novel, the film lovingly skewers the fashion world, and contains some real life gossip (Weisberger was an assistant to Anna Wintour, the editor-in-chief of Vogue).
Here 10 facts you probably didn’t know about the film. Enjoy! 😉
1.The author of the book, Lauren Weisberger, plays the nanny of Miranda’s daughters.
2. Meryl Streep told Anne Hathaway the first day on set that she was perfect for the main role of the film.
3. For the main role of Andrea were also considered Rachel Mc Adams and Claire Daines.
4. Streep initially turned down the role of editor-in-chief Miranda, as she said the money on offer wasn’t “reflective of my value to the project.”
5. Supermodel Gisele Bündchen agreed to appear on one condition: that she not be cast as a model.
6. To get into the character of Andy, Hathaway volunteered as an assistant at an auction house before filming began.
7. So Streep isn’t always perfect: apparently the montage where Miranda slams her coats down on Andy’s desk took the veteran actress quite some time to film. “It was a hard day for Meryl,” Blunt recalled. “There were probably 30 takes where either her arm got stuck or the coat didn’t hit the desk at the right time. That was one of the funniest things I’d ever seen.”
8. Streep’s Paris scenes, however, were actually filmed in New York; she was too expensive to fly out to France. I’m going to assume that’s because Streep, icon that she is, only flies first class.
9. Despite its success, no one asked for a sequel. Streep has said she is uninterested in reprising her role, and Hathaway told Variety that the first film “might have just hit the right note. It’s good to leave it as it is.”
10. Though the film’s budget only clocked in at $41 million, the movie made $326 million at the box office.